Roasted garlic is very easy to make and can compliment many dishes (like mashed potatoes) or be served on it's own as an appetizer.
- Prep time: 3-5 minutes
- Cook time: 45-60 minutes
- Difficulty: Easy
- Labor Intensity: Could do by yourself.
- 30 servings, adjust by 1.5x if your group tends to eat multiple servings.
- 10-15 whole garlic bunch (shouldn't cost much at safeway)
- Olive oil
- Some kind of herb (rosemary, thyme, oregano...etc)
- Total: $ very little
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Peel off excess skin off the garlic by rubbing it gently. You don't need to break apart the cloves. Keep the whole set intact.
- Slice off the root end of the bunch.
- Pour a spoonful of oil over each bunch
- Sprinkle lightly with salt and herb
- Place all garlic onto baking tray
- Add 1/8 inch water to tray (just enough for a thin layer)
- Cover top with foil
- Bake for 45-60 mins
Tom's Tips and Tricks_______________
If the garlic is starting to sprout a little and has a little green in the center, it's still ok. If the sprout is large, you may not want to use it. Each person can eat 1/2-1 bunch.
You can spread this on a buttered loaf of bread for garlic bread. You can also mash this into potatoes. It goes well as a side dish for steak.
The roasting makes the garlic smooth and soft. The strong pungent flavor breaks down during cooking.
[Possible side dish] Serve with potatoes or steak!