If you been around long enough, I'm sure you had this salad at one point. It's easy to make and it's really good. When I normally serve salad, there are leftovers. Somehow this one always seems to go quickly
- Prep time: 20 minutes
- Cook time: 10-15 minutes
- Difficulty: Easy.
- Labor Intensity: Easy enough to do on your own, though an extra hand would be nice
- 30 servings, adjust by 1.5x if your group tends to eat multiple servings.
- 5-6 heads of romaine lettuce [$3-4 at costco]
- 2 cans of mandarin oranges [$2-3 at safeway]
- 4 lbs chicken breast [$8 when on sale at safeway]
- Wonton skins [$2 at safeway]
- 1 bunch green onions [less than $1]
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup rice vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp black pepper
- dash of soy sauce
- Total: somewhere under $20.00 (if you already have other ingredients)
- Slice chicken into 1/2 inch x 1 inch strips
- stir fry the chicken
- drain out liquid as it comes out of chicken
- Set aside the chicken
- slice the wonton skins into 1/2 in width
- deep fry the skins for seconds, until light brown
- you can pour 1/2 inch of oil into a small pan to deep fry
- chop green onions
- tear lettuce into salad size pieces
- pour oil, vinegar, sugar, sesame oil, pepper and soy sauce in a bowl and mix well or pour into a jar and shake well
- mix all ingredients, top with green onions
Tom's Tips and Tricks_______________
The salad tastes better cold so you may want to do all the work the night before and refrigerate it. Then shake the dressing, assemble and serve.
[Possible side dish] You can eat this with almost any dish!