Parmesan Potato Wedges
This is an easy side dish. Just be careful you don't overcook the potatoes because they might burn or dry out. It's a variation on the basic baked potato recipe.
- Prep time: 20 minutes
- Cook time: about 45mins
- Difficulty: Intermediate/Easy- make sure it doesn't burn or dry out, you may have to watch and adjust temperature if necessary
- Labor Intensity: 2-3 people to cut potatos would help.
- 30 servings, adjust by 1.5x if your group tends to eat multiple servings.
- 10lb bag of russet potatoes [$3-4 safeway]
- vegetable oil
- 4 cups grated parmesan cheese [or 1 lb, about $3-4 safeway]
- 3 tablespoon salt (I recommend coarse, kosher salt)
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup garlic powder (or use minced garlic)
- 1/4 cup dried thyme, rosemary, or anyother herb (or italian seasonings)
- (You may need more seasoning mixture depending on how much you coat it with)
- Total: somewhere around $7.00
- Pre heat oven to 375
- Wash and scrub potatoes
- You could peel the skin off, but I like to keep it on
- Cut each potato in half lengthwise
- Cut each half into thirds/quarters lengthwise. 6/8 slices per potato (They should look like orange slices)
- Here's a new tip: microwave the potato slices (about 3 min/med. potato). Snap a wedge, it should be cooked all the way. If you do this, season and then turn the oven to 450F and bake until outside is toasted & golden brown or place under "broil" - check on it often.
- Toss a handful of potatos into a pot or large bowl and add a little oil to coat all sides of potato. I like to take a spatula and spin it around the pot to toss everything.
- Combine Parmesan, salt, pepper, garlic powder, seasonings in a bowl.
- (you may want to line the tray with foil for easy clean up)
- Place potatoes skin side down on baking tray/aluminum tray. They should go straight up.
- Sprinkle seasoning mixture on potatoes.
- Or you can dip the potatoes in the seasoning and then place in tray.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes. Cooking time will vary depending on oven, baking tray...etc. Poke through to make sure it's tender all the way through. If the potatoes start to dry out or burn, reduce temperature. Check every 5-10 minutes to observe progress.
- You could broil it for the last few minutes. Make sure it is not too close to the broiling coils and check it every minute to prevent burning.
Tom's Tips and Tricks_______________
Get grated, not sliced parmesan cheese. You could use sliced, but it doesn't stick on as well.
Adjust salt and pepper to taste. After tasting one done piece, you may want to sprinkle more to taste.
Be careful when you cut the potatoes. Make sure you don't cut yourself! Cut it in half and then lay the piece down on the board so that the skin is on top. Make cuts like shown below. You will make 6 large canoe-like pieces per potato. You can do 8 slices in a large potato.
Lay the potato slices tightly together, but don't stack. You may need multiple trays. You want them arranged as below before they go into the oven
[Possible side dish] This goes well with ribs or other meat dish
Just roast some whole garlic (olive oil, S&P) and mash it into some mayo. A little bit of lemon juice to brighten it up. If you want it spicy, throw in a dash of hot sauce into the mayo.
Like basil? fry up some fresh basil in some oil, throw that in there too. Let it sit some so the flavors set.
This works well on burgers, anything btwn 2 slices of bread or tortilla, etc.
I wanted to readjest them. I thought there was a chance these wedges could have been over or under cooked without careful checking so I rated it intermediate/easy.
thanks Tom. Remind me one day to tell you about this sauteed ground turkey dish I learned at work. It's really fast and easy and healthy and you can eat it with rice or bread.