This recipe comes from Shauna from Gracepoint Austin. If you have any recipes you'd like posted, please email me.
Chicken Tinga (Serves 30)
· 2 large crock pots
- 40- Roma Tomatoes
- 5- (24 oz.) Picante Sauce (Medium)
- 5- Large Yellow Onions
- 6- Jalapeno Peppers
- 15 cups- Rice (white or brown)
- 100oz.- Mixed vegetables (corn, peas, carrots)
- 10 lbs Chicken (diced)
- Cilantro (chopped)
- Olive Oil
- . Chili Powder
- . Cumin
- . Garlic Powder
- . 2 boxes- Chicken Bouillon Cubes
- . Salt & Pepper
- Cook rice
- Cook mixed veggies ; set aside
- Dice Roma Tomatoes (small); set aside
- Dice Onions (small) set aside
- While rice is cooking prepare chicken. Dice chicken & season with Chili Powder (generously), Cumin (moderately), Garlic Powder (generously), Salt & Pepper. ([All to taste] make sure chili powder doesn’t have salt or it will be too salty.) Cook the chicken in a small amount of olive oil (enough so that the chicken won’t stick to the pan.)
- While chicken is cooking divide tomatoes, picante sauce, and onions into two crockpots and turn on HIGH heat.
- Cut stems off Jalapenos and place WHOLE Jalapeno into crockpots; divide b/w 2 crockpots (If you decide to cut it up it will be spicy, but up to you!.. remember the heat is in the seeds!- it adds a nice flavor if you leave it whole and it’s not too spicy!)
- When Chicken is cooked, shred; divide into the two crockpots.
- Dissolve 5 chicken bouillon cubes in a little warm water & divide into the 2 crockpots.
- Let mixture cook for 1 hour in crock-pot or until all the vegetables are soft (should look like a stew-> w/ less liquid than ingredients-but there should be liquid).
- Add more salt/pepper if necessary
- Mix rice w/ chicken bouillon(to taste, be careful-its salty) and mixed veggies
- Serve Chicken Tinga over the Mixed Veggie Rice.
- Garnish w/ Cilantro :D