Taco Truck style carnitas
Here's a very easy carnitas recipe. It's a short video (with some mistakes!) taken on my phone. I add cheese to my tacos. I think it tastes good and lets me know when to take off the pan once it melts. You can also substitute beef chuck if you want to use beef.
- pork shoulder (bone in or boneless...whatever)
- palm sized corn tortillas- don't use flour tortillas
- Taco seasoning
- shredded mexican blend cheese
- Hot sauce (I like tapatio)
Directions_______________The night before
- 1/2 tsp salt per lb pork + 2 tsp taco seasoning per lb pork.
- 12lbs of pork = 6 tsp salt (2 Tablespoons) + 24 tsp taco seasoning (1/2 cup)
- Rub this over the pork. Try to do it evenly over the whole roast. I missed some spots in the video. Put it in fridge overnight in aluminum tray, covered
- Dice onions and cilantro and store in fridge
- Place pork onto aluminum tray, fat side up if possible
- set oven to 275 F and put in the pork
- Go to work
- 8 hrs later take it out and peel off the fat layer and discard
- Pull meat apart and toss around with juice from tray. Don't shred it too much but spread the juice around.
- heat a frying pan on medium/high
- add a little oil to pan and add tortilla
- put cheese on tortilla, then meat, onions, cilantro, hot sauce (I forgot this in video)
- When the cheese is melted, the taco is ready.
- You can do 3-4 tacos per frying pan. (could do up to 8 at a time on stove)