Sirloin steak (post glive celebration lunch)
After Gracepoint Live we had a massive BBQ with 650lbs of sirloin steak. With such portions, we needed a quick, easy, and foolproof method to season all the meat. After many tests batches, a method was developed. The result? Juicy meat with perfect flavor.Check out our intro video for Glive and other videos at www.gracepointvideo.org
- Prep time: 20-30 minutes
- Cook time: 1 hr
- Difficulty: Easy.
- Labor Intensity: It would be good to have an extra hand.
- 30 servings, adjust by 1.5x if your group tends to eat multiple servings.
- 20 lb Top sirloin steak or roast [$2.99/lb on sale at Safeway]
- 1/3 cup salt
- 2 tablespoons black pepper
- 2 cups water
- Total: about $60.00
- Cut meat into smaller pieces and put into a large stock pot or bucket (ideally 1 in thick, 2-3 in wide)
- Mix salt, pepper, and water in a bowl. Stir until dissolved, add a little more water if necessary.
- Slowly pour solution over meat as you mix it around. Make sure each piece is coated.
- You can check it by looking for black pepper. If you don't see it on the meat, it means it hasn't come in contact with solution, toss meat until all pieces have pepper on it.
- Allow it to sit for 45-60 minutes, toss it around once or twice during that time.
- Store it in ziplock bags and transport it or store in fridge. Try to squeeze all the air out before sealing
- If you can, allow the meat to sit for a couple hours (or even overnight) so the seasoning can evenly distribute.
- Grill or pan fry the meat.
- Cover the meat with foil and allow it to rest 10 minutes before serving
Tom's Tips and Tricks_______________
Letting the meat rest covered for 10 minutes allows it to cool and reabsorb the juice. Cutting it immediately will lead to drier meat. For more info click here.
Just make sure each piece gets solution. If there is any leftover in the end, evenly distribute it among the ziplock bags.
It's not like your typical marinade/brine, it's very little solution (saturated). Don't panic when you see how little solution there is, it's that very reason that this whole process works!
[Possible side dish] salad and rice