- Prep time: 45 minutes
- Cook time: 1 hour
- Difficulty: Easy/Medium
- Labor Intensity: 2-3 people would help
- 3 cups diced celery (2 bunches)
- 2 cups diced onions (2-3 onions)
- 5lbs ground beef
- ¼ cup chili powder
- ¼ cup oregano
- 2 TB cumin
- 3 TB kosher salt
- 2 [#10] can red kidney or pinto beans (drained) (or 200 oz total weight)
- 2 [#10] cans diced or crushed tomatoes (200 oz total weight)
- ½ cup pureed Chipotle peppers
- 20qt stock pot
Cook ground beef and put in a stock pot. Keep all the liquid, don't drain it.
Open cans of tomatoes and add to beef in stock pot. Keep on medium heat. Stir occasionally
Fry the onions and add the salt, cumin, chili powder, oregano. Add enough oil to coat the onions. Keep on medium heat. Stir around so the seasonings mix with the oil. Careful not to burn it
Add to tomato/beef mix in stock pot
Saute celery and add to stock pot
Add 1/2 the beans [1 can] and blend the other 1/2 [1 can].
Add to stock pot. Continue to stir occasionally.
Add some oil to a blender and blend/puree a 7oz can of chipotle peppers.
Pour 1/2 the can into the stock pot and add more to taste.
Let it cook on medium heat for 30 more minutes, stir occasionally
NOTE: This is a 20qt pot (80 cups). It's about 40-50 servings
Add some cooked macaroni to make chili mac