No picture available
Here's a quick and easy recipe to make in bulk. It's Korean braised chicken where you toss everything in a pot and it's ready to serve in an hour.
- Prep time: 10-15 minutes
- Cook time: 1 hr
- Difficulty: Easy. Just make sure you fully cook everything
- Labor Intensity: You can do on your own very easily!
- 30 servings, adjust by 1.5x if your group tends to eat multiple servings.
- 20lbs frozen chicken drumstick/thighs (usually about $1/lb on sale. If not, buy frozen bag at Safeway)
- 10lb potatoes (about $4 @ Safeway)
- Soy sauce
- 5 onions
- 2 garlic bunchs (use whole fresh bunches instead of pre minced)
- 2-3 pots of rice
- Total: about $25
- Pour 4 cups soy sauce, 4 cups sugar, 6 cup water into a pot and heat on high until boiling, then reduce to medium heat. *you will need a large stock pot or 2 smaller pots.
- Take chicken pieces and peel the skin off (if you want to). Another variation is to chop up the meat, but I usually skip that to save time.
- Add chicken to pot and cook for 20 minutes.
- While chicken is cooking, peel potatoes and chop into 1 inch pieces.
- Separate garlic cloves from the bunch and take the flat end of a knife and place it over the clove. Hit the flat end with your palm to smash the garlic. Peel off the torn skin and throw the garlic into the pot.
- Slice onions in any way.
- After chicken has cooked for 20 minutes, stir and flip over chicken pieces and then add potatoes and onions.
- Cook for 30-40 more minutes, stirring every 20 minutes.
- Serve with rice.
Tom's Tips and Tricks_______________
I like to add a few jalapenos with a slit down the side to add spice. I also like to add a few spoonfuls of red pepper paste and red pepper flakes. When I used to make this during my undergrad years, I'd like to add a little hickory/smoky BBQ sauce with soy sauce to give it a western flavor.
You can also add carrots. I would add about 2-3lbs baby carrots with potatoes.
Potatoes cook in about 30-40 minutes. Chicken should be cooking the whole time to avoid it being raw.
I like to serve with rice and pour a ladle of juice in the pot over the rice.
When cooking, make sure the lid is closed so it doesn't get too concentrated and to keep the water level the same.
[Possible side dish] Serve with rice